3 April 2018 - She's just an OG (organic gardener)

It's that time of year! You step outside and, provided you've taken your allergy meds, you take in the sweet sights and smells of new life. Today I stepped out into my garden to start the hard and rewarding work of cleaning up the Winter yard and setting up the Spring and Summer garden. My to do list is long and, with my feet, I can only get in about 30 minutes to an hour of work before I have to stop, but it is so worth it.

I've gotten a lot of feedback over the years on my gardens and harvest and it amazes me how little people seem to know about maintaining your own garden in that:

  1. If you don't put in chemicals and insecticides... no one else will. 
  2. Which means... you can eat some food right off the vine/stalk.
  3. How much good composting actually does. 
  4. And if you do it right, you don't need chemical help to grow a great garden.
I love gardening. I've loved it since I was a kid, so you can imagine when I did a tour of my house before buying it my sheer giddiness over finding two apple trees, two rose bushes, and a giant oak tree in the yard. Since then, I've added two blueberry bushes and, this year, a hibiscus bush and an elderberry bush. I am so excited for fresh fruit! 

On my dream property, there are fruit bushes and trees, vegetable gardens, and animals galore, but I'm happy with what I've got going on for now. Keep an eye out for the upcoming projects and harvests! 

---
Today I:
  • moved some dead branches that were hanging on the oak.
  • checked out the blossoms on the apple trees and blueberry bushes
  • put good stuffs around the blueberry bushes to protect them from the sun and keep them moist
  • put my elderberry bush and hibiscus bush in the ground
  • began removing dead brush from the garden and covering it with good stuffs
  • started my indoor summer herb and flower garden
  • spread, rather randomly, Southern Flower Garden seeds out front to, hopefully, inspire the bees. 
Still to do (TODAY)
  • Bring the other beginner plants in from the front: strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, and zuchinni
  • Plant the cats' catnip in a pot
  • Buy nets to cover my bushes from the pesky (and still awesome) squirrels
Tomorrow's list
  • gather up my tomato stakes for inspection
  • put the strawberries in the ground (and as much else I can do)
  • remove more brush
  • gather up the dead limbs from the ground. Some may become wood work and others will be chopped up for compost. 
Happy Spring! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 May 2018 - New Summer, new adventures

9 May 2018 - Small Thoughts I have

13 March 2018 - Oh crap... where's the wagon?