23 May 2018 - How do you know if...

... it's allergies or a cold?

How do you know if your geographic tongue is caused by a vitamin deficiency or your allergic reaction?

How do you know if it's a migraine or a sinus headache?

Ya, it's one of those days.

About a week and a half ago, I had dinner with a friend and the next morning I woke up to a swollen throat and tingly tongue, very typical allergy type reaction for me. I imagined that there was some shellfish in the food we ate that I didn't know about. But, the reaction persisted. I started to retain water, and my hair has been falling out more than usual. I decided to look up a recent change in a prescription of mine and found these all to be side effects of this new medicine. I have yet to email my doctor because:

(1) the water retention (and therefore dehydration) is subsiding
(2) my throat swelling turned into geographic tongue and now into a full on sinus-y issue
(3) I want to be doubly sure my hair is reacting as I think it is and not just because I went an extra day before wash day.

Last night I started running a low grade fever, which is not uncommon with allergy issues when they get this severe. My allergy meds are helping, but I am afraid it will turn into a sinus infection, so I am doubling up and fighting harder.

Additionally, we've had mild rain and a few storms nearly every day for the last week and a half and the latest forecast promises more for the next week. I am hoping this is all partially due to the pressure change, humidity, etc.

So.... what's the point of the post? Ya, I'm not sure.... sometimes it's helpful to put thoughts down on virtual paper. :)

I hate allergies and, on that topic, a "fun" story.

One "recent" (ish I think) development in allergy treatment includes injections of the allergen and slow exposure to it over time. When I was diagnosed with allergies originally mold, poultry feathers (down), and nearly every tree and weed in GA was added to my list. Since then we've added sulfa based medications, avocado, and crustaceans to the list. About 3-4 years ago, I was seeing a doctor who suggested the injection treatment for one of my worst allergens: trees. We started slow and the dosage increased. One day, I was sitting for the mandated time after the injection and my throat started to close. I stopped the treatment after that. Trees and crustaceans cause such a reaction in me. Mold, down, and trees in lower doses cause nasal issues, etc. Avocado, and sulfa cause a food poisoning type reaction. All really "fun" stuff. :)

---
Current stats:

yesterday's water intake: 48 ounces
today's goal: 90 ounces

pain level: "my sinuses suck"

current mood: "can I take a nap now?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 May 2018 - New Summer, new adventures

13 March 2018 - Oh crap... where's the wagon?

9 May 2018 - Small Thoughts I have