A Medical History - In the Beginning

I have long loved being active. I didn't really do much as a child though. I was very much into theatre, but I had a desire to play soccer (although my fear of getting hit in the face kept me from being too serious), and a desire to dance. I never expressed these interests to my parents, however. I was very aware of various things in my life and decided not to put that pressure or desire on my family. One of my favourite memories and experiences as a child was Irish step dancing, which we did for a while. Otherwise, I didn't find my groove until I was an adult.

I started ballet when I was 22. I loved everything about it. I love the precision and focus on form. I love the fluid movement. I remember when my teacher told me, "always be in motion". Even the bottom of a plie was was not a pause, but a movement into another direction. I had long loved the movements of the Broadway musical "Cats" and many of those actors were/and are my models for setting eventual goals for myself. The simple thought of being en pointe makes me giggle like a small child.

And then, on the other end.... I love lifting heavy weights. I take great pride in the power of my legs and it is a family trait. All of us have larger thighs that can lift heavier weights. I remember the day I lifted more than my father on the leg press. It was a PR for me and a very exciting one. I love putting in my headphones, turn in on my music, and escaping all the things going on to really get into the gym.

And, on the other (other) end, I have always been considered overweight. People look at me and say things like, "if you'd just eat x" or, "imagine what would happen if you....". In my first year of teaching, I was seen by a local doctor for an annual check up as part of my insurance agreement. They told me that, despite all my numbers being within normal range, I was going to have a heart attack within a year. I called my dad in tears, moments before my classes began, because I trusted this man (he was a doctor after all). I have doctors who take a look at me and begin to make suggestions based solely on a single number. The conversation sometimes goes like this:
---
Doctor: So, your weight is high, in what we could consider obese. *points to chart* We recommend that patients participate in cardio and strength training at least 3 times a week for x amount of minutes. Have you ever considered doing this?

Me: yes, actually, I am quite active. I...

Doctor: oh? How many days a week? 1? 2?

Me: 5-6.

Doctor: *raises eyebrow* for how long?

Me: It depends, I usually try to do cardio for 20-30 minutes plus 30 minutes to an hour of lifting. If I'm dancing it's usually between 10-20 minutes of stretching and warming up and another 20-30 of dancing.

Doctor: ...
---
I don't know that I've had a doctor yet look at me, see this number, and then actually listen to me. I am, despite what I look like, a total gym rat. I am, despite what I look like, a dancer.

Coming Soon: A Medical History (II) - There was Dark

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 May 2018 - New Summer, new adventures

9 May 2018 - Small Thoughts I have

13 March 2018 - Oh crap... where's the wagon?