A Medical History - If I Only Had a.... Backbone!

When I couldn't afford the MRI, I switched insurances. The MRI cost went from $600 to $45. The potential cost for surgery went from ~$4,000-10,000 to $250.

I filled out the paperwork to have my files sent over to the new doctor and made an appointment as soon as I could.

To say that I was disappointed with my new doctor would be an understatement. The roller coaster ride I went on was nothing short of disheartening and, sometimes, very depressing:

The First Visit

The first visit went very well. I felt heard by her. I felt like I was going to make progress. I told her everything I'd been through: the pain medication, the chiropractic therapy, the x-rays, the physical therapy (2 months), the potential for surgery, the pain, everything. I thought she really listened. I walked away from that meeting with: a new pain medication, and a "prescription" for bracing for both feet. The bracing was over the counter, but was of a certain kind to allow for more serious support. 

When I got home, I got a notification that my files had been updated by the doctor. Being me, I wanted to know, so I went on and checked the file. What I found was disappointing, to say the least. Nowhere was any mention of the history itself or the diagnosis. Instead, she had written that it was an unhealed injury that, with rest, would be better. She suggested that without previous files or medical history, little could be done (despite the fact that files were sent over and I gave her a detailed medical history).

Now, it should be said that I hate confrontation. I was the kind of student who, upon learning that my partner wouldn't be doing the assignment because he didn't believe in this particular part of history (the Holocaust), rather than speaking to him or the teacher, I took it upon myself to finish the entire project on my own. It was only at my mother's insistence (when she discovered why I was up until 2:00 AM) that I spoke to the teacher when turning it in.

So, for a week, I did nothing. I was upset, frustrated, and a little angry, but I did nothing. I figured that, as the doctor, maybe she had some insight that I didn't. I asked my boyfriend and father for their thoughts and they were agreed: I needed to contact her.

The Follow Up

It took some courage, but I ended up emailing her and asking for clarification. I was (and am) acutely aware at this point that she held all the power. Within this particular insurance, one of the great (and frustrating) things is that all doctors are connected and can see everything. That meant that, if I wanted a second opinion, she would be able to see and the new doctor would see her notes as well. It also meant that, when I tried to contact my Primary Care Physician (PCP), she directed me back to the podiatrist, even forwarding my original email. It even meant that, when I called the advice line to speak to someone outside her office about my concerns, they directed me back to her. 

She ultimately responded to me, initially that I had to give this some time (and further banning exercise and daily movement). She wanted me seated all day, each day. She did not want me at the gym, walking outside, doing heavy chores, etc. After exhausting all my other options, I emailed her again, and she suggested that, if in a few months, I was still in pain, I schedule a follow up, which I did, for a month later. 

At the follow up, she ordered new x-rays. Again, I started to feel like I was heard. Of course, however, there was an hour delay in the x-rays because there was a "mix up" with the order. After they were returned to her, she said to me, "well, you've only been in pain for a little over a year so....". Once again, I felt like I'd been mistaken and she didn't get it. 

She briefly showed me the x-ray and pointed to my ankle bone and suggested it could be an accessory navicular. To be sure, however, she wanted an MRI of both feet. 

A week later, the MRI was delivered to her, but she was out of the office. I emailed her repeatedly, as I didn't know she was on vacation, and finally another doctor emailed me back. This doctor was within the system, but at a location at least an hour away from me, a doctor I'd never met. He confirmed the diagnosis of accessory navicular and referred me back to my doctor for treatment. Since this was in writing, I thought, "All right... Here we go." 

Ultimately, however, when she came back to the office, she responded that she didn't agree with him and reiterated the need that I do nothing but sit and elevate my feet. I asked for a follow up appointment. Her response was to continue to wait, which I did, for another ~three months. 

Coming Soon: A Medical History - A History in Pictures

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 May 2018 - New Summer, new adventures

9 May 2018 - Small Thoughts I have

13 March 2018 - Oh crap... where's the wagon?