A Medical History - And Then There was Dark

I was an Irish step dancer for about a year: both soft and hard shoe. I was just getting into the more advanced steps when, one day during class, I fell. My left ankle had given way during a move where one rocks back and forth from ankle to ankle. It was a bad sprain and kept me off the dance floor for a long time. By then, I had fallen behind and decided to take a break from dancing.

When I started taking ballet in adulthood, I was incredibly careful. My ankle had healed, but had always been a bit stiff since the initial incident. Slowly we worked it through stretches and dancing. I danced on and off for a few years in class and then, when my studio closed down, I decided to continue at home. I bought a ballet barre, arch stretchers, etc. and I went about it on my own.

I combined my dance routine with heavy lifting, cardio (I tried running, decided that elliptical and heavy incline were better), and yoga/Tai Chi.

This was my routine. Some months I was off (once for a broken wrist (shattered in three places), and once for a severe concussion, but mostly I was on. I loved it. Spring 2016, however, things changed.

---

I was working at my barre on releves and my feet gave out: specifically both arches. This is not uncommon for me. My arches get over stretched a lot. Usually, some stretching and TLC quickly heal any issues and I continue. By the next day, my right arch was sore, but had no issues. The pain in my left foot, however, had quadrupled. That particular day, my class had been moved across campus. I was white as a ghost from the pain. I went to the doctor that day and was put on muscle relaxers and pain relievers for a week, hoping to ease the swelling to allow for further investigation.

A week later, there was more of the same. I was sent to a chiropractor who found that every single ligament in my leg was in a permanent tensed position. I underwent three months of chiropractic therapy which included adjustments, stretching, and electrical stimulation therapy. After that, I was sent to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with accessory navicular bones.

Accessory navicular bones are enlarged or extra bones that sit on top of or near the ankle bone on the outside of the ankle. The main issue it can cause involves the tissue that goes down the leg, wraps around the ankle, and under the foot, creating the arch. Having accessory navicular bones can cause frequent injury (from tripping over your own feet to major injury) involving those tissues and, if left untreated, can cause permanent damage to your feet.

One year later, I was scheduled for an MRI, had already received x-rays, and was looking at potential surgery. The week before the MRI, I was called to say my insurance deductible hadn't been met and I would be charged $600 for my MRI.

I hadn't danced or lifted in a year.

Coming Soon: A Light At The End Of The Tunnel?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 May 2018 - New Summer, new adventures

9 May 2018 - Small Thoughts I have

13 March 2018 - Oh crap... where's the wagon?